CONSTITUTION – DECEMBER 2020
1.NAME OF THE CLUB
The name of the Club will be the “Sharnbrook Golf Club”.
The Club will be affiliated to the English Golf Union, the Bedfordshire County Golf Union, the English Ladies Golf Association and the Bedfordshire Ladies
- Full membership is offered on an annual basis, the number of members being decided by the committee. Discounts may be available to some age groups and permanent employees of the Colworth Science Park.
- Associate Membership is open to any permanent employee of the Colworth Science Park on the following conditions:
- Associate membership is offered on an annual basis, on payment of the appropriate fee.
- Associate members will pay a green fee for each visit to the course.
- Associate members are not entitled to vote at the Annual General Meeting.
- Associate members will not be eligible for entry to any Club Competition.
- Associate members will not be included in any Sharnbrook Golf Club insurance scheme for full members.
- Associate members are not entitled to have Sharnbrook Golf Club as their “home” club for the World Handicap System handicap index.
- Associate members wishing to become full members will apply for membership through the new membership procedure.
- These conditions may be changed at any time, without notice, by a meeting of the Sharnbrook Golf Club committee.
- Second club membership is available to members of other clubs where the membership fee is higher than that of Sharnbrook Golf Club. The membership restrictions will be as per conditions 3.2.1, 3.2.3, 3.2.6, 3.2.7, 3.2.8 above. Second club members may enter some competitions, as defined in the competitions’ handbook. The number of such members will be decided by the committee.
- Corporate membership is available at the discretion of the Committee. The conditions of corporate membership will be as for associate membership above (3.2.1, 3.2.3-3.2.8).
- Honorary life membership is awarded from time to time to individuals who have provided exceptional service to the club. Any member of the committee can propose such an award, which must be approved unanimously.
4. THE COMMITTEE
The Management of the Club will be vested in a Committee consisting of a President, Secretary and Treasurer (the officers), the Captain, Ladies’
Representative, Course committee chair, the PR & Marketing committee chair and the Competitions & Handicap committee chair. These officers (except
the President) and members will be elected annually at the Annual General Meeting. Additional members may be co-opted by the Committee but hold no
voting rights. The Committee may appoint any sub-committees it considers necessary. The Committee will determine the Club’s policies and procedures.
At meetings of the Club and the Committee, the President will take the Chair, or if they are unavailable, then another officer will take the Chair. The Club
Committee will normally meet in March, April, May, June, July, September, October, November and December.
The Annual General Meeting of the Club will be held within the month of December each year, usually on the first Monday. The Secretary will give at least
14 days’ notice of the date.
An Extraordinary General Meeting may be called by the Committee or at the request, in writing, of any twelve full members. Such a meeting will be
arranged within 28 days of receipt of such a request. The Secretary will give at least seven days’ notice of the date of the meeting.
The club year will run from April to March. The annual subscription rates for the different categories of membership will be decided at the AGM and will
be payable by the 30th April each year. Those members who have not paid their renewal by this date will be deemed to have left the club.
7. THE ACCOUNTS
The accounts of the Club will be checked by a competent external party to ensure they represent a true and fair view of the club’s activities during the
year and will be presented to the AGM.
8. ALTERATION OF THESE RULES
The Rules of the Club may only be changed at a General Meeting at which at least 10% of the voting membership are present. Notice of any proposition
to alter the rules must be given to the members at least 7 days before the meeting. Rules may be changed by a simple majority of those present. In the
event of a tie the chair of the meeting will have the casting vote.
Subject to any restrictions that may occasionally be imposed by the Committee, all members of any category may play on the Sharnbrook course with up
to 3 guests at any one time. The appropriate green fee at the time must be paid for each guest before play commences. Exceptions to this must be
agreed in advance by any of the Club officers.
10. MEMBERS BOUND BY THE RULES
Every member of whatever category will be bound by and submit to the Rules of the Club.
11. DISCIPLINARY ACTION
The Club’s disciplinary procedure is laid down in the SGC Disciplinary Regulations which are published on the club website. All disciplinary issues are dealt
with under this policy.
12. COLWORTH CLUB
All adult members of the Club must also be members of the Colworth Club. As such, they and up to 3 guests can use the clubhouse facilities. Guests need
to be signed in to use the bar and must not remain after the member leaves the premises. These restrictions do not apply to bona fide sporting events.
13. WINDING UP THE CLUB
If support declines to such an extent that the Committee decides that the Club is no longer viable, it will call an EGM to inform the membership.
Any residual funds will be given to the Colworth Club to administer.
Roger Tunn (Golf Club Secretary)